Saturday, May 1, 2010

Arms and Armor

I love the metropolitan Museum of Art. Over the past 10 years, I have visited about a hundred times.  It is one of those magical places that always has something new to offer. My all time favorite section is the Arms and Armor. The skill of the craftsmanship is breathtaking. I am so dependent on my flex shaft and torch I could not imagine the amount of time it took to finish these pieces by hand.






This is a head defense for a horse. It is the elaborately decorated example ever found. It is made of iron, silver and gold by Tibetan craftsman in the 15th century.








The helmut is from 16th century Japan also known as the Momoyama period. It was made of lacquered iron for old men to wear.






This is a replica of traditional 12th century Japanese armor. It was made in the Edo period (18th century) It is made of lacquered iron slats that have been woven together with leather and silk.

No comments: